Editor's note: Each month, we'd like to introduce you to one of our wonderful Glamping Hub hosts and what inspired them to create a glamping site. This month, we have Brenda and Bruce, who manage a luxury camping tent in Raglan on the North Island of New Zealand.
1. What is the story behind you starting your glamping site? What did you do before becoming a glamping host, and what drew you to glamping?
We have been involved in the hospitality industry for the past 18 years, owning cafés, bars, and accommodations in various locations around the North Island. We really enjoy the interaction with people!
When we purchased our 10 acres in Te Uku four years ago, it had a self-contained unit, and this was the start of our bed and breakfast offerings. We were looking at ways to utilize our land, and we came across the glamping tent concept. We thought this was a perfect opportunity and location to introduce a rural retreat.
2. In your opinion, how does your accommodation fit the definition of glamping?
Our glamping tent is essentially a tent; however, from the moment you arrive, you instantly experience the "wow factor"—with an in-ground fire pit to roast marshmallows as the sun sets, following dinner on the four-burner barbecue. We provide year-round comfort with a heat pump and the luxury of a spa pool under the stars.
3. What is the most special thing about your property?
It is a rural property that is only 10 minutes away from the world-renowned surfing town of Raglan. We not only offer a farm experience, but also the opportunity to visit Bridal Veil Falls. At a mere 13 kilometers away, you can walk through the native bush to view the 55-meter waterfall.
4. What do you love the most about running a glamping site? What are some of the challenges you face?
We love meeting, greeting, and hosting people from all over the world. We haven't really experienced any challenges; however, we always try to ensure the experience is perfect for all of our guests.
5. Tell us about your most memorable guest experience to date.
Our most memorable moments thus far have be when we had two separate couples chose our location to get engaged at.
6. Which three words are most commonly used in guest feedback about your accommodation?
Wow, amazing, and luxurious.
7. Tell us about the experience you provide for guests visiting your glamping site.
We provide a rural experience with five-star hotel amenities, which includes luxury linens on the queen-size bed, a tiled shower and toilet, a Bluetooth speaker, bottled water, juice, and Nespresso coffee. We pride ourselves on these small details, like providing marshmallows and biscuits to make s'mores around the fire pit; a relaxing spa pool to stargaze from; and a heat pump to keep you cozy all year round. We also like to keep our guests entertained with various board games, including giant Jenga.
8. If you could have anybody stay at your accommodation, who would it be and why?
The CEO of Glamping Hub, so he can experience firsthand how beautiful our site is.
9. 10. Are there any upcoming additions/changes to your glampsite you would like to share with us?
Yes, we are currently looking into expanding our offerings with another unique glamping experience at our rural property. We are excited to introduce this to you in the near future!
But wait! We have a double feature this month, so click here to read all about Emilie and Chad's tiny house rental, too.