Editor's note: Each month, we'd like to introduce you to one of our wonderful Glamping Hub hosts and what inspired them to create a glamping site. This month, we have Karen and Jon and their beautiful ranch with these luxury tents near Colorado Springs, Colorado.
1. What is the story behind you starting your glamping site?
Our glamping site arose from a need of where to put all the family and friends that were coming to visit us at our new property in Westcliffe. We had built a small, 700-square-foot home and needed a place for them to sleep.
2. What did you do before becoming a glamping host? What drew you to glamping?
I'm an architect, and my husband is a hunting outfitter, so we were familiar with large canvas tent type accommodations from his outfitting business before we started our glamping site. What drew us to glamping were the luxury tents that we had seen online when I was trying to find inspiration for the timber framing of our tents.
3. In your opinion, how does your accommodation fit the definition of glamping?
Our accommodation fits the definition of glamping in that it truly is luxury camping in canvas tents with heavy timber frames. The ensuite full bathroom in each tent takes the luxury to a whole new level! Meanwhile, the barn-style kitchen and living space, which also form part of the accommodation, bring the ranching aspect to glamping.
4. What is the most special thing about your property?
The most special thing about our property is the incredible mountain views. The property sits right at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Watching our 30 horses grazing on the grass with the mountain views behind them makes it even more special.
5. What do you love the most about running a glamping site? What are some of the challenges you face?
What we love most about running our glamping site is that we have met the most incredible people! We've made some amazing friends along the way. Some of the challenges we have faced have been helping guests learn how to start a fire. Starting fires in the wood-burning stoves in the tents has been a real challenge for some of our guests, so one of the things we've done to help our guests stay warm all night is change the wood-burning stoves in the tents to gas stoves. Now, they can still have a beautiful fire, but stay warm and toasty all night! Guests still have several wood-burning fireplaces in the gathering areas that they can roast marshmallows on.
6. Tell us about your most memorable guest experience to date.
Our most memorable guest experience to date was a family that came from the East Coast that stayed for a week. Seeing how they were blown away by the views and how much they enjoyed having the horses around made us appreciate where we live even more.
7. Which three words are most commonly used in guest feedback about your accommodation?
Incredible, amazing, and unforgettable.
8. Tell us about the experience you provide for guests visiting your glamping site.
Our guests experience incredible mountain views in a remote setting with quiet evenings, incredible stars at night and unspoiled mountain views and scenery.
9. If you could have anybody stay at your accommodation, who would it be and why?
Kenny Chesney. We love him and his music!
10. Are there any upcoming additions/changes to your glamping site you would like to share with us?
We're adding a barn on the property that will have an amazing barn loft made of heavy timber, which guests will be able to rent for weddings, family reunions, and gatherings. We're also making the glamping tents available year-round for our guests starting this fall/winter.
Interested to know more about Karen, Jon, and their incredible glamping site? Check out the feature Colorado Homes Magazine did about this couple and their unique property. And make sure you go experience it firsthand, too!