Editor's note: Each month, we'd like to introduce you to one of our wonderful Glamping Hub hosts and what inspired them to create a glamping site. This month, we have Rosemary, who manages this property nestled among the rainforest in Mount Glorious, Queensland.
1. When was the first time you heard the term glamping?
About three years ago.
2. What inspired you to have your own glamping site?
After a lifetime living in the city, Russell and I wanted to get away to a semi-rural environment, with a "non-retirement" plan that would provide a reasonable living and a pleasant lifestyle in a beautiful setting. We have had the cottage accommodation on our property for 10 years.
3. If you could describe your property or the glamping experience you offer in three words, what would they be?
From our guest feedback, the most common responses are peaceful, relaxing, and welcoming.
4. What was your first glamping /camping experience?
I love being in the bush, but I camped a couple of times as a young student—forty years ago—and hated it! Since then I have only stayed in cottages with running water and indoor toilets, so I guess I was glamping before anyone knew what it was!
5. Why would you recommend people to go glamping?
You can experience the beauty of the natural environment, without having to rough it.
6. What should people expect when they come to your glamping site?
Cozy private cottages set in 15 acres of rainforest. Cool, fresh mountain air, national parks, beautiful birdlife, peace and quiet. Our cottages are comfortable, with everything you need in them—we have a policy of staying in our own accommodations, so we can "road test" it and iron out any glitches.
The decor is tasteful, with lots of wood, much of it from our property, fireplaces for cold mountain nights, and personal touches, such as fresh flowers, candles, port and home-made chocolates.
7. What makes your property unique?
Within 40 minutes of leaving the central business district of Brisbane, you can be at Mount Glorious, a tiny village surrounded by National Park, 2100 feet above sea level, with cool fresh mountain air, amazing wildlife, and absolute tranquility. For all those busy city people, we try to provide the most relaxing getaway possible, close to the city, yet worlds away!
8. What’s your favorite part about owning a glamping property?
Living in a beautiful rainforest environment and being able to share that with others.
9. What makes your property eco-friendly?
Sustainability is a major commitment on our property. Just some of our eco-friendly practices include water efficiency—such as collection & storage, ensuring no dependence on bought (town) water—and we also reuse timber milled on site for the floors, bench tops, wall linings, etc.
Recycled materials are used wherever possible. We utilize natural building materials (light earth, stone, aged timber) that blend with the environment. You'll find environmentally friendly cleaning products, zero or low VOC paints, finishes on all new internal surfaces, as well as the following features:
• Low energy consumption—supplemented with photo voltaic solar power;
• Being able to offer our guests home grown produce whenever possible;
• Buying Fair Trade goods, which offer a better deal to farmers in the developing world;
• Maximum recycling of household waste including composting; and