Editor’s note: Each month, we’d like to introduce you to one of our wonderful Glamping Hub hosts and what inspired them to create a glamping site. This month, we have Bethany and Travis, who manage these beautiful eco-cabins in Texas.
1. When was the first time you heard the term glamping?
Actually, it was when someone from glampinghub.com called me about advertising our property on your web site. I immediately burst out in laughter ~ glamping? What a PERFECT word to describe what we are already doing! Brilliant. When I logged onto the web site, I knew we needed to be a part of this.
2. What inspired you to have your own glamping site?
My husband and I were looking for a unique, nature-filled space to host our “yoga retreat” wedding and we stumbled upon this property online. When we visited, we knew it was the perfect place for us. The wedding weekend was so incredible that just a few months later, we approached the owners and asked if we could take over managing the property, live there, and expand the business to include yoga, massage, and retreats. They said, “yes!”
3. What was your first glamping/camping experience?
My first yoga training was at White Lotus Foundation in Santa Barbara, California and I stayed in a yurt for 16 days. I loved feeling so close and connected to nature while having modern amenities like a super comfy bed, running water, and electricity. When we weren’t in yoga training sessions, I could walk out the front door for hiking, swimming, or just lie on a rock and watch the sunset. The experience took me out of my head and into my heart, which to me is what traveling and glamping is all about.
4. Why would you recommend people to go glamping?
It’s a comfortable & unique way to experience nature – an opportunity to step back from the busyness of life, slow down, and try something new. A glamping vacation can leave you refreshed and ready to return home with a new perspective. Plus it can give you a chance to stay somewhere you would have never pictured yourself before ~ a cabin made of recycled materials? A tree house? Yurt? Teepee? How COOL!
5. What should people expect when they come to your glamping site?
Exactly what I mentioned in #4. With our 3 Retreat Eco-Cabins, expect to walk into a wonderland of little bungalows ~ each with their own unique personality. Our luxury glamping property is La Casa de Joy, a gorgeous & romantic straw bale home with so many unique artistic touches. The property is very relaxing and peaceful, with plenty of nature & grounds to explore. Guests can do as much or as little as they want. Whether it be yoga, massage, wine tasting, ziplining, hiking, swimming, tomato happy hour…or they can just plop in the hammock and read a book for an afternoon. We invite guests to take advantage of the “away from it all” atmosphere by gifting themselves time to just chill and be.
6. What makes your property unique?
The photos kind of say it all. The Eco-Cabins were built by well-known eco-friendly architect, Marley Porter, who uses a lot of recycled materials in his creations. For example, the sink in The Blue Loft Eco-Cabin is actually a wooden bread bowl. The rooftops of 2 of the cabins are slanted so that they can catch rainwater. We use the rainwater from The Blue Loft to water our organic herb garden. We have also added a composting sphere (his name is “Spinner”) so guests can compost their leftover organic fruits & veggies. La Casa de Joy was built by an Artist and Healer and is absolutely stunning. The straw bale construction makes is more energy-efficient ~ there are also feathers and gemstones woven into the straw bale for a sense of peaceful energy. Every time I walk into this home, I see something I’ve never seen before ~ it’s full of so many surprises.
With additional amenities such as on-site yoga, massage, private retreat packages, and meals ~ guests can easily just show up to the property and have everything else taken care of for them. We also host special events at the property such as yoga workshops, retreats, and weddings.
7. What’s your favorite part about owning a glamping property?
My husband and I do not own the property, but my favorite part of running the property for the past 4 years is the a combination of the peaceful atmosphere and the amazing people we have met from all over the world. It’s also pretty special to look out the window and see the exact spot where we were married. This property will forever be sacred to us.
8. If you could describe your property or the glamping experience you offer in three words, what would they be? Just three???? Unique…Peaceful… Mojo-Rejuvenating. And I want to add…Yoga…Foodie..Retreat 😉
9. Anything else you’d like to add? Yes! We have some exciting news! My brother, Jordan Padnuk and his fiancée, Emma Trucks will be taking over management of the property in June. Jordan is a private chef /foodie and will be offering meals to all of our guests. He strives to use organic and local ingredients whenever possible and will also be leading cooking workshops and retreats. They make a great team and plan to grow a bigger garden where guests can pick fruits and veggies during their stay. We also plan to add some additional accommodations to the property ~ vintage airstream trailers ~ to keep the “Austin Weird” vibe going. Travis and I are excited to continue to visit the property and host retreats.