Editor's note: Each month, we'd like to introduce you to one of our wonderful Glamping Hub hosts and what inspired them to create a glamping site. This month, we have Casey, Stacie, and Ella and their unique unique treehouses near Deep Creek Lake in Bittinger, Maryland.
1. What is the story behind you starting your glamping site?
We are a faith-filled family with a love for travel and nature-centered adventure. We wanted to do something that would bring families together in a unique setting...a treehouse! Since we spend so much time in nature, we thought treehouses would be an awesome business adventure. Treehouses bring out the kid in everyone! Being in nature, surrounded by peaceful woods, and high in a tree is an amazing place to be.
2. What did you do before becoming a glamping host? What drew you to glamping?
I'm a sales consultant for a pharmaceutical company, and my wife, Stacie, was a middle school teacher for 10 years prior to becoming Ella's home-school teacher. We are attracted to glamping because of the opportunity to enjoy nature in a unique way without sacrificing comfort.
3. In your opinion, how does your accommodation fit the definition of glamping?
They are majestic structures that offer a unique vantage point that not everyone gets to experience. It's a new perspective on nature and the surrounding forest, being perched in a luxury treehouse, which is fully furnished with full utilities.
4. What is the most special thing about your property?
The serenity of the property itself. This peaceful and tranquil forest is a great place to relax and unwind.
5. What do you love the most about running a glamping site? What are some of the challenges you face?
We love hearing stories of families reconnecting and friends spending time together and celebrating life. Our biggest challenge was learning the hospitality industry and having guests who don't respect or take care of your property.
6. Tell us about your most memorable guest experience to date.
Our most memorable guest experience was receiving a video from a guest who surprised her son and daughter with a trip to the treehouses! Seeing the kids excitement reminded us why we built them.
7. Which three words are most commonly used in guest feedback about your accommodation?
Cozy, enchanted, and amazing.
8. Tell us about the experience you provide for guests visiting your glamping site.
Guests receive an opportunity to sleep among the treetops, experience childlike joy, and engage in tons of other adventures and activities in the Deep Creek Lake area.
9. If you could have anybody stay at your accommodation, who would it be and why?
We'd love for a child who has dreamed about staying in a treehouse, but hasn't ever had the opportunity, to stay here. This is the inspiration for our next treehouse to be built in 2020, "The Daydreamer," which will be ADA-compliant.